Monday, December 9, 2013

Ceramics in 2013


Today I decided to gather up some of the bowls I've made this year, to chronicle my first year of mucking around with ceramics. I think I've made every possible mistake so far, but comparing the first pinch-pot bowls to some of my later experiments on the wheel; it's apparent that my skills have still progressed further than I thought they would, when I started my first night class in May, and there are now a surprising number of functional ceramic bowls in use around the house (containing cat food, or earrings, or bobby pins, or snacks).

The earlier, lumpier experiments are used for the cats, but the later, smoother vessels are now reasonable enough that I'm able to give some away to humans without too much embarrassment. Given everything that's happened this year, It'll be interesting to see what next year brings; I'm interested in doing even more tableware and illustrative experiments with sgraffito (as demonstrated in the black and white cat bowls) and mishima inlay (as demonstrated by the later white bowls with blue insides, and blue decoration inlaid on their outsides).

1 comment:

  1. OMG SO MUCH BEAUTY!!!!!! Your skills have come a long way, love those little spherical containers.

    ReplyDelete